SIGNS OF INFESTATION
- Signs of infestation vary
- The presence of Swarmers, wings left behind by Swarmers, or damaged wood are often the first signals
- Wings discarded by swarmers, a normal part of their behavior, are often found near the emergence sites, on window sills or in cobwebs.
- Infestations can also be detected by the presence of Shelter Tubes going up the sides of foundation piers, utility entrances of foundation walls.
- In some cases you may find that the termites have eaten the paper from between the paint on the wall and the drywall / sheetrock / gypsum board.
- In many cases, you may find launching castles (shelters) which are constructed with very thin walls that can easily be broken open so the swarmer termites can leave the colony.
- These launching castles are typically found in high locations, near the wall and ceiling interfaces,
- or can be found in the attic areas.
- These higher locations aid the swarmers in traveling greater distances away from the colony they are leaving.